The warm crackling of the fire, the crisp, earthy fragrance of pine needles, an air of general merriment and jolly-making wherever you go. Yup - the holidays are practically here (and if you ask me, they officially arrived on November 1st) and it's time to start thinking about the best part of the season: gift-giving! There are so many reasons that I love this part of the season best - getting to tick things off my list (which I've checked twice!), seeing my loved ones' faces light up when they open their gifts, and of course, hunting for perfect item that will secure my position as Greatest Gift-Giver In All The Land... or something like that.
Anyway, since I actually enjoy spending hours trolling the Internet to find things to buy for other people (ok, sometimes I pick up an extra for myself), here's Part I of my Christmas (or any other wintery holiday, birthday, or celebration) wish list with great ideas for every special someone in your life.
(Click any thumbnail above to view a larger image.)
1. Cabin Porn: This is the book for anyone who's ever wished they could unplug, leave everything behind, and live in a cozy log cabin nestled deep in the mountains on a silvery lake. And come on, isn't that just about everyone?
2. Milk Bottle Match Striker: Handmade in Vermont, this simple, yet elegant match striker makes for the ideal host or hostess gift for all of your holiday get-togethers. And while you're at it, add this baby to your own wish list.
3. Canvas Firewood Tote: Cold winter nights call for crackling fires and a burly lumberjack to chop and carry all that wood. No burly lumberjack on hand? Haul your own pile with this handy (and sturdy!) canvas tote.
4. Learn to Embroider a Sampler Kit: The chilly months ahead lend themselves to days spent indoors reading, cooking, or learning a new hobby. Embroidery is a great craft to pick up since there are plenty of basic stitches that even the newest newbie can master - and this kit is the perfect tool to learn.
5. Escape Canvas Utility Bag: Whether you're escaping to a country retreat for snowshoeing and hot toddies or a beachside villa for snorkeling and fuzzy navels, this graphic bag is sure to become your favorite travel companion.
6. Goat Wool Applique Pillow: Warm, fuzzy, and just a little bit wacky, this folk art pillow is just like the adorable animal that inspired it. Gift it to your farm-dwelling friends, anyone who wishes they lived on a farm, or your goat-obsessed bestie (if you can't figure out who that is in your group, it's you... and I think that makes us besties, too).
7. Swedish Brass Oil Lamp: We all have that friend that secretly wishes they were born during the simpler times of way back when (hi, nice to meet you). This Swedish-made oil lamp can let them live out their fantasies, even if they only last until they want to use the bathroom... indoors.
8. Glacier National Park Blanket: Any of your design-loving friends will instantly recognize this Pendleton classic. And it's a classic for a reason - unbelievably warm, American-made, and crafted to last for generations, this wool blanket is a modern heirloom that complements nearly any decor style.
9. Gigantic Stuffed Scissors: Crafty relative? Fashion-obsessed friend? They will squeal with delight when they see this cheeky stuffed pair of scissors under their tree. Because, why not? Life's too short to be taken seriously.
Stay tuned for Part II coming soon!